Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thrift Store Chair Redo


So we've had this chair for about two years now.  My roommate Georgia and I found it at a thrift store and thought it was great, so we bought it for something like $30 (I'm pretty sure we got an end table as well, so the chair itself was not actually $30, but probably more like $15).  It wasn't in awesome condition to begin with, but after 2 years of use (and abuse from my wonderful cat Voldemort), it needed some serious help.  This was first furniture re-do, and I'm pretty damned proud of the result.  Take a look:

Hooray!  I love it.  So here's the process:
First I pulled off the cording that lined the bottom of the seat, which revealed about a million staples underneath.  I pulled as many of them out as I possibly could while trying not to damage the wood too much.
Then I pulled off the fabric that covered the seat.  It was a very worn goldenrod velvet, which I though was both ugly and awesome.  The foam underneath was in great shape though, so I reused it when I reupholstered it.
Foam is gone and we're ready to prime!
After an entire can of spray primer (which got everything but the bottom of that one leg.  Not really worth going out for another can, but I'll know for next to always have extra.)
And the first coat of spray paint!  I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in Pebble with a satin finish.
Close up for the color
After the second coat.  We're done painting!
Tape is removed and ready for upholstery
I used the fabric that I pulled off the chair to trace a pattern onto the new fabric so I would make sure it lined up perfectly without being too big or too small.
Stapling very carefully around the edge and trying to get my corners perfect
And voila!  It's like a brand new chair!
I'm so so proud!  I think it looks awesome.  The rest of the living room furniture will follow a similar color scheme.  I was planning on doing the couch in a solid green but I'm sort of obsessed with this fabric, so we'll see.  Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment